And it begins!

Saturday, May 3, 2008

I am a volunteer!! WOOHOO! No longer do I have to say trainee in reference to myself. Haha, it's been a pretty good and chill week so far, so let me give you an update.

Language
My last language interview went well. I am now Advanced Low, so I went up 3 levels since the beginning. Happiness. Well, the levels do not really matter anymore, but it feels nice to have advanced so far.

Swearing In!
Went to the American embassy to get sworn in as a volunteer, and it was pretty sweet. I was on American soil for 3 hours, and good God it was great. Well, mainly, it was great to flush toilet paper down the toilet instead of throwing in a nearby trash can. Good ol' American Standard toilets!

Everyone got all dressed up and pretty. It was basically the last time that all of us are going to get really dressed up for the next two years. I wore my great-for-all-occassions black dress of mine, and my friend dollied me up! Haha. It almost felt inappropriate to be wearing a dress with spaghetti straps. Oh well!

It was a pretty good event. We sang the Honduran national anthem as well as the American one, heard a lot of great speeches from a lot of great people (go Andy!), and ate some great food.

Afterwards we went to the ambassador's house to swim, play tennis, and what not. Of course half of us (myself included) swam with our dresses on! haha. Fun times.

Training has been great for all of us, and now it is time to leave each other. Though it will be sad to leave everyone, it´s not like we will never see each other again. I really appreciate this last week we had with each other. I am now ready to leave Santa Lucia, physically and mentally, and go to Olanchito and begin my new life for the next two years. Tomorrow, the bus leaves at 9:30a for the next journey, and I will definitely be on it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment