1 Down, 103 Left to Go
Saturday, May 10, 2008
So I made it through the first real week of work! Well, it was more like a week of sweating through my shirts and trying to remember everyone's name. Some days it felt like I had so much to do, but then I have often found myself having nothing to do at all. I have plans to be working with the prison population for the next month it seems, but the details are a little bit sketchy as to who I will be working with, the guards or the leaders of the cells. It doesn't matter to me which because it would just be fun to start working especially with that population.
I am getting used to Olanchito, it's hot Hot HOT weather, the subtle humidity and all the dust floating around. It is definitely a city, instead of a little town that I really expected my Peace Corps experience to have. However, it still has a medium town feel as in all the people all know each other, which could be a good thing and a bad thing. The people here are rather nice though (except for one lady at the bank), so I should have no trouble getting along with them.
The biggest issue I have is trying to work the politics of getting things done. Even though it is only the end of the first week, and I still have 103 weeks left, I can see that work, not adjusting, will be the most difficult part of being a Peace Corps volunteer. Everyone has all of these expectations of me, and I don't know if I can meet them. Sigh. Hopefully though, poco a poco, bit by bit, I can get accustomed to living here as well as my job demands. Man, send me creativity and the ability to look underneath the underneath!