Happy 5th Month Anniversary in Country!
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Well well. Things have changed a lot since my last post. I have been traveling a lot for business and for pleasure. End result = Leala is well rested, more knowledgeable about the country, has more friends, and is way more tan!
I joined a PC group called COLORS. The purpose of it is to share the cultural diversity of America with Hondurans, and it acts as a support group for those who do not look like the typical American aka blond haired blue-eyed. This is not to say that the group is just for those who are not white. It is for everyone because everyone has a different cultural history, whether they can trace it back beyond America or not. I know that I have mentioned a few times that people call me Chinita (Chinese girl). Well, it happens all of the time to me. There is a filipina PC volunteer in Olanchito as well, and they repeatedly ask me if I am her sister even after I insist that we are not. This is a few examples of a typical events in my life:
1. Piropos (Catcalls) - Pss. Pss. Ey chinita mi amor. OR Mire la chinita. Pss. Pss. (Look at the chinese girl)
2. Normal - I am a Peace Corps volunteer. "Oh, where are you from?" The States. "Oh, so you came over to the States?" No, I was BORN in California. "But where are your parents from?" Well, if you must know, my parents are from Thailand, a country in Southeast Asia, which is NOT China. "Ohh, really?"
3. Sometimes when giving a charla - Hi, I'm Leala, a PC volunteer. Anyone know what PC is? Well, it is an organization of the United States government. "whisper whisper Chinita whisper whisper" Ahem, this means that I am from the United States.
4. Other - "Hola Chinita" I am not Chinita. "Oh, where are you from?" I was born in the United States, but my parents are from Thailand, a country in Southeast Asia. "So you're Thai" Yes, but more like I am Thai-American. "Oh, really?" Yeah, aren't there Honduran-Americans as well? "I guess there are."
What a revelation! It has been an interesting experience for me. In California, I was lucky enough to have many people around me who shared similar physical characteristics as me. Also, I was lucky to be surrounded by many different cultures on a daily basis. I will admit then that I never TRULY felt racism towards me while in California. Or more likely, there has never been an experience strong enough that I could not just brush off. In Honduras though, it is overwhelming because it is ubiquitous, and people unknowingly do it, not to offend but because it is normal to them. They call each other all the time by nicknames as a sign of affection: Negrito (black), gringita (whitey), gordito (fatty), flaquita (skinny), colocho (curly haired), even chinito (chinese) for the shape of someone's eyes. I would have to say that this is very similar to Thai culture, but that does not mean I do not take offense even when Thai people do it. A lot of times it has to do with a difference of perception. So what we try to do in COLORS is to spread diversity by getting others to understand that people have different perceptions and feelings and that we have to be careful with our words because they might offend someone. Also, we like to show that America is a land of immigrants so an American is not always blond haired blue-eyed. For the most part, people have been very receptive when I tell them even though it does get tiring to always have to explain myself. I love it, however, when the light bulb finally goes off in their heads that I could actually not be Chinese and be an American citizen by birth as well.
Work Travel:
I went to an In Service Training (IST) this past week about Income Generation and Healthy Living for support groups for PLWHA (People Living with HIV/AIDS). Though the materials presented were very valid, it would have been more pertinent to me if there already existed a support group for PLWHAs in Olanchito. However, I have my work cut out for me in this respect. Olanchito is a conservative town so people are not willing to let others know their status. It was great seeing everyone again though. Well, I've already met up with many of them before the training but it was great to see people like Kristina and Joel who I have not seen at all since training. It's great to reconnect with people as well as meet new ones! On a sadder note, we said goodbye to two people from the Health project. One who has completed her 2+ years in Honduras, and the other my Project Training Specialist: Jorge Reyes. Tania, the volunteer will be continuing in Africa as a PC volunteer extendee for a year, and Jorge is moving over to be part of the PC Business project. Congratulations to the both of them, but it's sad, especially with Jorge. For the past 5 months, Jorge was a basic part of the supportive network that the health volunteers had. We are surely going to miss him, and still do not know who will be replacing him. The health project will be crazy until then.
Along with a goodbye party for the both of them at the IST, we celebrated another occasion. My 24th birthday of my life, and my very first Honduran birthday! I had a great birthday filled with cake, mini cake fights, singing, dancing, old friends, new friends, smiles, and much laughter. After I came back home yesterday, I celebrated with my host-family here too. Geez, my host-grandma is so cute! Haha, it's been one of those birthdays that was perfect no matter where it was. I can't thank everyone enough for making my first Honduran birthday a great one!
Let me summarize the rest of the events.
Apartments - Won't have one anymore, so I am living with the host fam again. AHHH!! Hah, things just fell through. Sigh, that's how it works in this country. But there is still a tentative possibility of getting something good.
High School - I have FINALLY started working with the high school students. Because of various holidays, strikes, and exam periods, we have not been able to start until July. Even then, we worked during a strike.
Jocon - A more rural up in the mountains village 2.5 hours away on a bus ride up bumpy and unpaved roads. Went there to give a charla. I love this town. It is so cute, rustic, and just plain beautiful up there, and the organization (World Vision) that I collaborated with there has money, which is enviable since my organization is always lacking funds.
Condoms - In my search for 80+ condoms to use for my charlas, how come I was only able to acquire ONE condom from the Health Center, Hospital, Health Department combined? Where did all the condoms go? Where are people supposed to get there condoms if they can't pay for them??? I ended up having to using all of the condoms in my personal medical kit and asking for some more from the med kits of the other volunteers in my site.
Hair - It's gotten longer but my hair is falling out more than normal. I swindled vitamins from the Medical office however, and I am trying a apple cider vinegar rinse on my head. We'll see how it turns out. I just might turn back to the garlic clove a day approach again. Heard garlic was good for the hair, teeth, preventing mosquito bites, and getting rid of parasites.
Package - Thank you family for the things you have sent me. Even though the 4 big boxes of Kleenex are a bit odd and at first useless, I have put them to good use when I give condom demonstrations as part of a HIV/AIDS charla. Getting a package makes me greedy though, and I want more! Haha, on a side note, I would love to send you guys things too. Just email me your address and I will send you a letter or a postcard or something.
BTW, to Miss Veronica Shin who is now Mrs. Veronica Kim and to Miss Jenna Ogier aka Mrs. Jenna Ogier-Marangella, Congratulations! Felicidades! I am truly happy for you, and I hope for continued happiness through all that you will go through together. Oh yeah, one last thing. Can we hold off on the kids until after I get back or at least until I visit?
Until next time, thank you for all of the birthday wishes!