Site!
Monday, April 21, 2008
As you can see, I have changed my address. You can now reach me there for the next two years!!! AHHHHH!!!! I found out 3 hours ago, and it was this whole intense affair where the directors mapped out where all the sites were but did not tell us who was going where. When they talked about Olanchito, though, I had a feeling that I would be going there. The site is a medium-sized one (about 35,000 people) and has a variety of different projects that I could work in, but it has a focus on HIV/AIDS and youth. Very happy with that! I am two hours from La Ceiba, which is basically the site where people travel to the Bay Islands from!! That means the beach is two hours away! I have a site mate from the Water & Sanitation group, but I have a Hondu 12 health buddy really close to me too. I will have access to many supermarkets and internet and other resources, so I will not be cut off from the rest of the world.
The sad thing is that I am so far away from my family in Yarumela. I am probably 11-12 hours away from them by bus. From the capitol city of Tegucigalpa, I am 9-10 hours away by bus, so it will definitely be a pain to carry all my luggage there. However, tomorrow, I will be meeting with my counterpart and then going with them to Olanchito on Wednesday for a site visit, so I will surely take advantage of an extra pair of hands. Well, I will let you know more how Olanchito turns out. Come visit me! I will probably have my own place by July or August.