A Change of Pace Cont.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
On to training! Training has been somewhat intense. Lots of information. I had a language interview this past week. I have moved up two levels to Intermediate High (from Inter low)! However, this does not mean much since it was not the real interview, which I will have close to the end of training. Sometimes I just have so much homework, I don’t know what to do. However, it’s all very chill. It’s not like we have grades or anything, just disappointed teachers, which is worse. With the health project, I have not yet fully decided which goal I want to focus on (HIV/AIDS or Maternal/Child Health), but I feel as if I would be comfortable doing both of them. I feel as if HIV/AIDS work would be a challenge for me, which I would love, but I also like the nutrition aspect of Maternal/Child Health. We’ll see. I can always do one and then do the other as my secondary project. On that note, I am very excited about secondary projects. I would love to work with oral health, or with the Cero Basura (Zero Trash) project some current volunteers have created.
Last week was Semana Santa, which in the States is Holy Week and ended with Easter
Sunday. We kicked off the holidays with El Día Cultural where all of the aspirantes (trainees) made presentations about one aspect of American culture and while the mamas all made some typical Honduran food. We had presentations about the Pledge of Allegiance, the 7th inning stretch/Take Me Out to the Ball Game, the Electric Slide, and what my class did: Easter Egg Decorating. I have to say it was a huge success despite all the techno/audio failures. People loved the egg decorating, as it is something that they have NEVER done before. Frankly, all of the aspirantes had fun decorating too. Made it feel a little bit like home.
On Thursday, I went swimming and picnicking/barbequing with my family and extended family at the river. Very tranquilo. I loved hanging out with people my age and a little bit older, instead of with the kids all of the time. Even though the kids are great for integrating and passing the time, sometimes I just need a break from them. Swimming was fun too, even though the water wasn’t supremely clean. It’s very surprising how many Hondurans do not know how to swim. Or maybe it’s that I have taken for granted my ability to swim.
On Easter Sunday, the Yarumelons went off to Comayagua, which is close to where the big American army base is located. Thus, there are a greater number of gringos (Americans) and American products in Comayagua. It was kind of disconcerting to see that many foreigners (white and also Asian) after not seeing that many since we left Miami. During Semana Santa, the citizens of the city create alfombras (carpets) made out of colored sawdust that commemorate the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Very cool! I got to contribute to the making of one of them! I will put some pictures up soon! It’s a pity though. There are carpets all over the center of the city, and the procession walks right over them. Hours and hours of hard work for less than 15 minutes of ceremony.
Ooh. . .let’s talk about food again. Started in Santa Lucía, my love for paletas has only grown in Yarumela. Paletas are frozen cup-shaped popsicles in various flavors like coconut, tamarind, milk, chocolate, watermelon, banana etc. They are the perfect compliment to a hot day and are not fatty like ice cream (It just has lots of sugar!). In Yarumela, I have been introduced to the plastic bag equivalent to paletas, which is a topogigio (pronounced topoyiyo here). They are the perfect size, and you just rip/bite off a corner and just suck the flavored icicle/slush out. I have gotten all my friends addicted to them, and my host-mom gives me at least one paleta or one topogigio everyday.
As you can see, everything has been good for me here. Peaceful days while working. What more can I ask for, except maybe a letter or call or two from you guys. . .