At the End of My First Full Week
Friday, February 22, 2008
So it has been a week since I have last written, and in this past week, I have just had so much information crammed into my head. Sometimes this week, language classes has gone for like 4-6 hours straight. Not so good for my brain. I have actually been placed in the Intermediate Low+ class, which is just one miniscule step away from being at the passing level (Intermed Medium) required at the end of 3 months of training. Definitely I can understand well, but I have an inability to actually formulate thorough conversation. Also, I forgotten much in terms of grammar. Bit by bit, though, I will improve, and hopefully by the end of training, I will be in the next full level of language fluency (Advanced something).
Enough of that! Let me tell you about the food! Beans, rice and tortillas! Yes! Actually, that´s not all the food that exists here. I have to say that it is similar to Mexican food, but with some different flavors. Some different foods I have encountered are: sopa topada, pataste, sopa de mondongo, and this dish with cous cous. Some foods are quite interesting like sopa de mondongo, which is basically some odd parts of a cow with ALL these vegetables. I have liked almost every dish I have tried here so far, but I do miss Thai food a lot. However, on Monday, we are going to Tegus in order to navigate the market and the transportation system, so that we can learn to survive and hopefully buy things for ourselves and our host families. I am going to try to look for sauces and other foodstuffs to cook somethings for my family here.
Ooh, one last thing! I´ve started to play futbol here!! Even though I barely know anything about playinhg, I go play with more than half our group every Tuesday and Thursday! Loads of fun! I will let you know about my adventures again soon! Check out some of the pictures I have posted up to the side though. I don´t have too many, so I will try to take more for the next post!
Hey Nong Om,
I'm glad you're surviving fine, and have fun on the exciting market trip. I especially like it when you blog about all the foods, sounds yummy. I'm going to see if I can get the rents to send you stuff, marked death if opened. haha.
Pi Am